The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School

STM News

Oh, the places you went!

%22Caroline+Istre+%28%2719%29+snaps+a+pic+of+the+view+outside+her+window+as+her+plane+touches+down+in+Toronto%2C+Canada%22+

"Caroline Istre ('19) snaps a pic of the view outside her window as her plane touches down in Toronto, Canada"

Caroline Istre ('19)

Caroline Istre ('19)

Ana Barry, Staff Writer

How did you spend your summer? Did you go to bed late and sleep in, go to the beach or eat too many sno cones to count? While some students stayed in the Lafayette area and had a relaxed and low-key break, others spent their summers partaking in unique opportunities like traveling to foreign countries or becoming leaders in the community.

STM French Students, Jake Breaux (‘18), Anthony Benton (‘20), Caroline Istre (‘19), Marie Noel (‘19) and Grace Miholic (‘19)  traveled to Nova Scotia, Canada to participate in a French immersion program. On their second day in Canada, the students signed a contract promising not to speak in English until the end of the program.

Every day, the students would attend classes and afterward they were able to participate in a number of activities ranging from softball to beach trips. On the weekends, students could leave campus on a bus and go on an excursion like canoeing and every Sunday night there was a bonfire.

On their last night, the students had a sort of graduation ceremony where their contracts were burned and they were allowed to speak English again.  Sophomore Anthony Benton says he will keep up his French from here on out and he will miss his friends the most.

This experience put these students at a great advantage in their French classes back here at home, but while some students were advancing academically in another country, others only had to go as far as Baton Rouge.

Click here to read Grace Miholic’s account of the Canada trip.

Cassidy Daugereau is a junior who attended Louisiana Youth Seminar (more commonly known as LYS) and described it as the best week of her life. LYS teaches you how to communicate and how to attain leadership positions like Student Body President.

She says you attend many events throughout the week to meet new people and create new relationships. She hopes to return and one day become a counselor to continue the program she loves so much.

Junior Noa Hollinger travelled to Los Angeles, California to attend a Berkeley College Program for music. Everyday she would walk ten minutes to the Emerson Campus on Sunset Boulevard to learn how to better her music writing skills, put her material out to the world and to hear what he peers had written. She did so well this summer, she was granted a scholarship to the same program in Boston next summer!  

This summer, some Boy Scouts earned their rank as an Eagle Scout by completing their Eagle Scout Project. An Eagle Scout Project is a service project in which the Boy Scout will be completely in charge. David Vizzi (‘18) recently earned the title of Eagle Scout after completing his Eagle Scout Project earlier this summer.

His project involved clearing out the storage crate behind the school, building shelves to put the boxes and other items on and helping put the items back the way the PTC wanted them organized. David says it made him feel good knowing that he helped the PTC with something they wanted to fix for a long time and happy that he was able to accomplish a goal he’d been looking forward to for years.

While Boy Scouts stayed in the country to perform a service project, 10 Help Desk alumni and Ms. Robin Herrington travelled to Haiti to build a computer lab for a village school.

At her previous school, Ms Robin had taken tech mission trips before and it’s something she wanted to bring to STM. A former student had told her about a book called “Miracle on Voodoo Mountain,” about a Louisiana local who had moved to Haiti and built a school on a mountain. Ms. Robin was inspired and emailed the author to ask if they could begin a partnership where the alumni would travel to Haiti to build a computer lab.

This summer, the alumni and Ms. Robin built the computer lab, provided them with wireless internet and taught students and teachers how to use the computers, all in five days. For some of them, this was their first time seeing a computer. This is the largest computer lab in Haiti and, hopefully, the people in the village will also be able to use this as a source to grow their education more than ever before.

Our furthest traveler is Khoa Pham (‘19) who flew back to Vietnam to see his family for the first time since he moved to the states right before his freshman year began. Khoa says he missed his family and Vietnamese food the most, but when he got back home he realized how much he had actually missed his friends. A number of them also moved away from Vietnam so, sadly, Khoa was not able to see them. For more on Khoa’s trip to Vietnam, click here!

• Oh, the places you went!

Features

New Cougar Additions

• Oh, the places you went!

Features

Saigon summer

• Features

Canada, je t’aime

• Features

Pivotal moments

• Oh, the places you went!

Features

Major Decisions

• Oh, the places you went!

More Truth

Final thoughts and clarifications

• Oh, the places you went!

Entertainment

Impact Night

• Oh, the places you went!

Features

New Cougar Additions

• Oh, the places you went!

More Truth

Chastity: the path to true freedom

• Oh, the places you went!

News

What’s New: St. Pius

Oh, the places you went!