The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School

STM News

Rush: The Ins and Outs

STM+alumni+Hannah+Hebert+%28%E2%80%9817%29%2C+Lauren+Guillot+%28%E2%80%9817%29%2C+Katie+Forestier+%28%E2%80%9817%29%2C+Laina+Robinson+%28%E2%80%9817%29%2C+Anna+Johnson+%28%E2%80%9817%29%2C+Regan+Dupre+%28%E2%80%9817%29%2C+and+Sarah+Gary+%28%E2%80%9817%29+at+Bid+Day+2017+at+the+University+of+Louisiana+at+Lafayette.+
STM alumni Hannah Hebert (‘17), Lauren Guillot (‘17), Katie Forestier (‘17), Laina Robinson (‘17), Anna Johnson (‘17), Regan Dupre (‘17), and Sarah Gary (‘17) at Bid Day 2017 at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Mary Gretchen Guillot

Mary Gretchen Guillot

Tatum Guidry, Staff Writer

Whether you’ve been dreaming of Bid Day throughout your entire childhood or you’re only starting to consider joining a fraternity or sorority, the decision to rush or not to rush is still a huge deal. It is something that needs to be decided sooner rather than later simply because of all of the preparation that goes into it.   So what do you need to know?    

For Joel Moreau (‘18), rushing a fraternity has been a lifelong dream.  He hopes to be the “best frat boy he can be” to live up to the Greek life of his father, who was president of his fraternity.  Following in the family’s footsteps is a common motivation for rushing.

Paul Laborde (‘18) has decided to rush so that he can carry out his family’s legacy.  All of the men have been in a fraternity and have seemed to really love it.  So, he wants to do just the same.

Girls also take the family legacy into consideration when making their decision, but there is a little more involved in their “Greek dreams”.  “Being in a sorority gives you a home away from home, which is especially important if you are attending a college that isn’t near your family,” says Sarah Blady (‘18).  “The sorority house becomes your new home.”  

Recent graduate of St. Thomas More, Claire Latiolais (‘17), confirms this benefit of being in a sorority.  Since she has been a Phi Mu at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, she has made many new friends and they have become a great support system for her as she started the new chapter of her life.  

Be prepared.  You want to be the best version of yourself.  According to articles from The Odyssey, written by Greek alumni, kind words, a positive attitude, and politeness will go a long way during Rush Week.  Know that you will always be remembered for your actions.  So, continue to be the best version of yourself even after you’ve chosen a new home.  

Senior Guidance Counselor, Nicole Strother, recounts of her sorority experience as a Kappa Delta at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.  During rush, you have a very short amount of time to let people get to know you, so you have to be authentic and willing to communicate.  Also, “if you’re fake, they’ll be able to see right through it”.    

Alumni of sororities and fraternities recount in personal interviews and blogs that the preparation of “trusting the process” and receiving tips from those who have already gone through rush is far more important than getting “the perfect dress” and presenting who you think they want you to be.  

Most importantly, enjoy yourself.  Don’t stress too much.  You will end up exactly where you are supposed to be and with the people you are supposed to be with, says many sources who have participated in Greek life.  Take advantage of every opportunity that comes with Greek life, and let it positively affect your time in college.  It is a large commitment, so make you sure it is something you are ready to dedicate your time and money to before you decide to rush.  

• Rush: The Ins and Outs

Entertainment

STM’s Got Talent

• Rush: The Ins and Outs

Entertainment

“Yeah, We Lift”

• Rush: The Ins and Outs

Entertainment

Study Habitats

• Rush: The Ins and Outs

Entertainment

Noa Jamir performing “Indigo” at STM’s Got Talent

• Rush: The Ins and Outs

Entertainment

Halloween 2017

• Rush: The Ins and Outs

Entertainment

Too short

• Entertainment

Bandboree 2017

• Rush: The Ins and Outs

Entertainment

‘Tis the season

• Rush: The Ins and Outs

Entertainment

Football and tailgating: week 1

• Rush: The Ins and Outs

Entertainment

For Your Entertainment May 2017

Rush: The Ins and Outs