STM News

Snack time

Mack Moncla (18’), Noah Nyguen (18’), and Jude Joseph (18’) hug the snack machine. Photo illustrated by Anna Guillory.

Anna Guillory

Anna Guillory

Anna Guillory, Staff Writer

Snack machines: the lovely creation which gives you the possibility to eat three-hundred-something calories for just one dollar!

At STM, vending machines are the new hot topic since they are now running the second half of the school day. Can you believe it?

Before a few weeks ago, in a dark, dark time, the snack machines were only turned on before and after school. What insanity!

Coach Lane said that when he was in high school, they didn’t even have snack machines and he had to survive the day with whatever he brought/ ate for lunch.

When I discussed with him the new times that the vending machines were on, he told me, “By regulation, it is my understanding, they are not supposed to be turned on until after lunch. The reason they do that is so that student body can get appropriate nutrition vs. junk.”

Then I began asking him the nitty gritty questions, like what his favorite snack is from the machine. He said very quickly and passionately, oatmeal cookies.

Then I turned to Father Joe who was sitting near him and asked him the same question which he pondered for a minute before deciding on chocolate moon pies.

Coach Lane even told me that since the vending machines are owned by an outside vendor, STM only gets a small portion of the money made from them.

Senior Lindsey Reaux said: “after lunch, I am always craving M&Ms and, I spend at least $2 a week now that they are turned on all day.”

I then went to get a new perspective on it and asked Spencer Babineaux (‘18) who said, “I never use the vending machines. I may have spent 5$ on them in my entire high school experience since my parents fix me lunch everyday.”

Logan Benoit (19’) and Henry Koke (19’) agreed with Spencer and both said they rarely use the snack machines.

After speaking to many people and asking them their favorite snacks, it seems that fruit snacks are the #1 buy, which are a somewhat healthy choice at only 89 calories a bag.

Could it be the STM student body is more into nutrition than they are into snacking?

Chris Krause (18’) doesn’t think that’s the case, though. He says, “I spend at least $5 a week on the vending machines. I normally always have stuff after school because I’m very involved in school and need the pick-me-up.”

• Snack time

Features

An open door to more life and love

• Snack time

Features

Options operations

• Snack time

Features

STM alumni work with area homeless

• Features

15 Things I Would Never Do Again

• Snack time

Features

God’s calling me…where?

• Snack time

Entertainment

“Yeah, We Lift”

• Snack time

Entertainment

Study Habitats

• Features

Schools around the world and how we differ

• Snack time

Features

It’s fall, y’all!

• Snack time

Features

New Cougar Additions

The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School
Snack time