STM News

It’s fall, y’all!

Catherine Castille (‘19) getting into some Fall festivities with decorations at Agave in Parc Lafayette.

Libby Elmore ('19)

Libby Elmore ('19)

Tatum Guidry, Staff Writer

Football on the TV.  Leaves changing.  A glimpse of cold weather in South Louisiana.  Pumpkin flavored everything.  Everyone’s favorite season has finally arrived – Fall!

There’s so much to love about the season, as it brings about so many things that are special to the months of September, October, and November.  

Families of St. Thomas More have already started to display their love of the season through elaborately festive decorations, as several students stated.  Hannah Usie (‘18) has scarecrows and pumpkins adorning both the front and back doors.  

Anna Billedeaux (‘19) has a special Fall wreath, made by her mother, that is hung on the front door of her home annually.  The circle encompasses the season with leaves of all autumn colors as well as pumpkin and bat cutouts for Halloween.

Amelia Rader (‘21) and her family prepare for the season’s beloved holiday, Halloween, with a pair of married skeletons by the front door of their home.  Her mother saw them in a school years ago and said “they were just so cute that she absolutely had to get them.”  The happy couple have come to be a must-have decoration.

What makes these three months of the year so special to people?  Many students name Fall as their favorite season of the year, but why?

For the “boys of fall,” the thing that gets them most excited for the season is the sports that come with it.  Cade Broussard (‘18) said that football — playing and watching — is what makes the Fall season for him.  For Nick Padgett (‘18), it’s “the business of his coaching schedule and constant viewing of games on ESPN that coincide with the start of basketball season.”

The break from the Louisiana summer heat makes the season special for many St. Thomas More students.  Lindsey Reaux (‘18) explains “you can go outside and it’s enjoyable because there’s a breeze; you’re no longer capable of filling numerous buckets with sweat.”

It’s what has been dubbed as “sweater weather.” The Weather Channel reports that Louisiana’s peak temperature for this designated time as 60° Fahrenheit.  For teenagers, this means wearing a fluffy, comfortable sweater that will keep you warm in the Fall breeze.  

Spencer Babineaux (‘18) and Connor Duffy (‘19)  say that the fact that the fall months catapult hunting season gets them excited beyond belief.  Squirrel season started up just this month.  The event is so special in some places in our state, particularly Ville Plate, that students are given a day off of school to participate in the start of the season.

In the leading days before Halloween, Freeform shows a “13 Nights of Halloween” special, in which all of the holiday’s classic films are shown.  Hocus Pocus, The Addams Family, Halloweentown, The Haunted Mansion, and children’s TV show specials are among them.

Mack Moncla (‘18) says that he “makes sure to be prepared on the couch every night that Freeform shows Halloween films so that he can watch every single one”.  This is his favorite part of the Fall season.  

Emily Stevens (‘18) also tunes into the special every year and makes sure to bake the beloved Pillsbury sugar cookies adorned with Halloween characters.  She stated, “The ones with the jack-o-lanterns and ghosts on them taste better than the regular cookies.  That’s a fact.”

• It’s fall, y’all!

Features

STM alumni work with area homeless

• Features

15 Things I Would Never Do Again

• It’s fall, y’all!

Features

God’s calling me…where?

• It’s fall, y’all!

Entertainment

“Yeah, We Lift”

• It’s fall, y’all!

Entertainment

Study Habitats

• Features

Schools around the world and how we differ

• It’s fall, y’all!

Features

Snack time

• It’s fall, y’all!

Features

New Cougar Additions

• It’s fall, y’all!

Features

Saigon summer

• Features

Canada, je t’aime

The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School
It’s fall, y’all!