STM News

Flag on the play

Sarah+Qaisieh+%28%E2%80%9818%29%2C+Megan+Zeringue+%28%E2%80%9818%29%2C+Kaylee+Luquette+%28%E2%80%9818%29%2C+and+Addison+Wright+%28%E2%80%9818%29+along+with+some+of+their+teammates+from+Teurlings+after+their+first+win.+
Sarah Qaisieh (‘18), Megan Zeringue (‘18), Kaylee Luquette (‘18), and Addison Wright (‘18) along with some of their teammates from Teurlings after their first win.

Marlo Wright

Marlo Wright

Addison Wright, Staff Writer

Monday night football, the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, colorful turf, 73,000 people

going wild, and The New Orleans Saints vs. The Atlanta Falcons.

Monday night football, Moore Park, grass that hasn’t been cut in two weeks, parents cheering from the bleachers, and Bring Your Own Ball vs. The Benchwarmers.

Flag football — a very popular game among young boys across America and for the past several years, the seniors across Lafayette. This has been a senior tradition for years. Several of our own STM senior girls have teams and compete against each other and even with different schools from the Lafayette area.

Although most of the girls who participate have never played football before, they practice at least once a week and have learned quickly. Flag football is harder than it looks. With all of the rules and plays, it can get pretty confusing.

Megan Zeringue (‘18) says flag football is much harder than she thought, “Some of the girls on the other teams are a lot more aggressive than what I thought they would be! I was running and a girl tackled me, and I flew like five feet and landed on the ground!”

Sarah Qaisieh (‘18) also says, “It’s more serious because you don’t know how competitive it really gets until you start playing. I was running and this girl juked me, and I slipped in front of everyone.” Although it is harder than what she first thought, Qaisieh adds, “I don’t get mad. I’m just there for the fun of it!”

Several girls have even said they get really into it, surprisingly. Alexis Moore (‘18), says, “I start like screaming on the field. It’s kind of embarrassing, but it’s fine.”

Football has several rules, and flag football is no different. If you have never played before, it can be confusing and some of the rules do not make much sense.

A few girls have given suggestions about what they think should change. Aimee Veazey (‘18) says she wishes she was able to tackle people. Alexis Moore (‘18) also says, “I think you should be able to pull defense’s flags and they would have to stop.”

Alexis Moore (‘18) says she was surprised with her experience, and adds “I’m surprised by the diversity of girls that play. It’s not one group of girls. It’s a lot of different people.”

Basically anyone can play flag football if they are open to it and have fun with it. However, you have to be willing to put your time and effort into it and help your teammates out.  If you are looking for something fun to do senior year with all of your friends, whether it’s because you just want to fill your schedule up, or you really just love flag football, sign up a team next year and prepare for your inner athlete to surface!

• Flag on the play

Sports

Cougars go country

• Flag on the play

Entertainment

‘Tis the season

• Flag on the play

Entertainment

Football and tailgating: week 1

• Flag on the play

Sports

Meet the Cougar

• Flag on the play

Sports

Superbowl: more than a game

• Flag on the play

Features

STM alumni work with area homeless

• Features

15 Things I Would Never Do Again

• Flag on the play

Features

God’s calling me…where?

• News

Khoa Pham (’19) wins Letters About Literature contest

• Flag on the play

News

Lent: A Season of Giving

The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School
Flag on the play