STM News

Want to Make Bank?

Katherine Gaudin (18’), Anna Duhon (20’), and Madison Rouly (20’) reach out towards the possibilities of gaining money.

Anna Guillory

Anna Guillory

Anna Guillory, Staff Writer

M-m-m-m-money… Money!

Here at St. Thomas More, many students are confused on how to get started in the scholarship process.

Conner Denais (18’) even stated, whenever asked if he knew what he was doing in his search, an expletive word and “no!”

In response to the student confusion, I decided to meet with the college counselor, Dr. Cheryl Fruge, to get to the bottom of things on this scholarship search.

When I sat down with her, she was willing to help me out with anything I needed. She said, “When most students start applying for their scholarships, they only tend to think about the bigger ones like TOPS,” which she believes is one of the biggest problems in our scholarship search.

Another benefit she finds with smaller scholarships is, “a great thing that comes with smaller scholarships is that the money goes directly to the student and is not just defrayed from their tuition, even though it could be used towards the tuition.”

If you are one of those people whose parents pay for your college, this means you can pocket the money coming from these small scholarships and use it for something fun.

The best thing about these scholarships is how accessible they are.

First, all you have to do is go to the STM website Fruge has provided for us, www.stmcougars.net/academics/college-counseling.  

Once you get to this website, all you have to do is click financial aid and put in all of your information. Hundreds of small scholarships will pop up and you can go check them out.

Most of these scholarships are national scholarships which means they will be hard to win, but, it never hurts to apply.

When looking into what type of scholarships to apply to, remember Cady Heron’s famous quote from the movie Mean Girls, “The limit does not exist.”

One senior at St. Thomas More, Natalie Russell (18’), is applying for a disability scholarship for her scoliosis! She never thought she would be able to make money off of her injury until she started her quest.

Another surprising scholarship conquest was Noah Nguyen. He stated, “I applied for the Oriental Scholarship at LSU because ya know, I’m Asian, as a joke initially… but I actually got it!”

Academic scholarships are the ones students most generally apply to. Madeline Mahtook (18’) is taking LSU up on many of their academic scholarships including, academic excellence, the Charlie Mack, and the Tiger’s Legacy scholarship.

• Want to Make Bank?

Entertainment

STM’s Got Talent

• Want to Make Bank?

Cougar Cast

Top in the state and top in our hearts!

• Want to Make Bank?

More Truth

Final thoughts and clarifications

• Want to Make Bank?

News

Impact Night

• Want to Make Bank?

Features

New Cougar Additions

• Want to Make Bank?

More Truth

Chastity: the path to true freedom

• Want to Make Bank?

News

What’s New: St. Pius

• Want to Make Bank?

More Truth

Breaking the Rules – the Dangers of Promiscuity

• Want to Make Bank?

Features

Oh, the places you went!

• Want to Make Bank?

More Truth

Birth control — What’s the problem?

The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School
Want to Make Bank?