STM News

Super Bowl LII Comes to STM

Rein Evans (‘20) looks admiringly at his NFL favorite, Tom Brady, despite the unfortunate Patriots loss.

Tatum Guidry ('18)

Tatum Guidry ('18)

Tatum Guidry, Staff Writer

Kitchen counters filled with more food than anyone could dream of consuming. Shouts at bad plays so loud that the next door-neighbors come knocking.  A halftime performance that nearly breaks all social media websites with all of the highlights.  It’s the 52nd Super Bowl.

Five full months of pre-season, regular, and playoff games have passed and the 2017-2018 NFL season came to an end on Sunday, February 4, 2018, as the Philadelphia Eagles defeated the reigning Super Bowl champions, the New England Patriots.

The style in which people watch the Super Bowl ranges from extravagant parties to casual viewings on the couch; the STM community participates in each category.

Caroline Couvillion (‘21) got more excited about the snacks than the steals when she realized the Super Bowl was coming up.  Yet, she confessed that she will absolutely eat her fill of the ground beef nachos, while everyone else watches the game.

Chips, in some variety, are a highlight of Super Bowl Sunday for many members of the St. Thomas More community.  Andrew Gregory (‘19) cites chips and salsa as his favorite snack for the viewing party.

Shane Savoie reflects on his favorite game day snack with what some would call “heart eyes”.  Layered dip, a combination of guacamole, beans, salsa, sour cream, black olives, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, and ground beef, in his opinion, is “impossible to beat!”

Rebecca Gerami (‘18) doesn’t look forward to the Super Bowl snacks as much as she looks forward to the main dish – her dad’s famous gumbo.  Every year, her family cooks a pot big enough to feed everyone watching the game.  It tops anything and everything else eaten on game day.

Which team got STM’s pick for the big game?  The majority said the New England Patriots.  Rein Evans (‘20) wears his Tom Brady jersey on Super Bowl Sunday every year; he’s “his guy.”

Andrew Gregory (‘19) casts his vote for the Patriots as well even though his friends disapprove. Sighing at their disapproval, he explained himself, “They’re just that good.”  

Although for most people, the assortment of Super Bowl foods stole the show on Sunday, the Philadelphia Eagles were a close second as they upset the New England Patriots, winning 41-33.

Jackson Stockstill (‘19) as well as other fans of the Patriots, had their hearts crushed in the last two minutes of the game when Tom Brady made a game-deciding fumble.  “My heart was in shatters just like the bag of chips I threw on the floor.”

• Entertainment

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

• Entertainment

50 Things to Do When You’re Bored

• Super Bowl LII Comes to STM

Entertainment

Cougar Court 2018

• Super Bowl LII Comes to STM

Entertainment

STM’s Got Talent

• Super Bowl LII Comes to STM

Entertainment

“Yeah, We Lift”

• Super Bowl LII Comes to STM

Entertainment

Study Habitats

• Super Bowl LII Comes to STM

Entertainment

Noa Jamir performing “Indigo” at STM’s Got Talent

• Super Bowl LII Comes to STM

Entertainment

Halloween 2017

• Super Bowl LII Comes to STM

Entertainment

Too short

• Super Bowl LII Comes to STM

Entertainment

Rush: The Ins and Outs

The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School
Super Bowl LII Comes to STM