STM News

It’s a Human Rights Issue

Sophie Varisco, Staff Writer

The Pro-Life Movement: a group promoting and educating people on the importance of the dignity of life. A large number of STM students and faculty participated in the March for Life in Washington D.C.. Protests took form through peaceful marches across the country specifically in Washington D.C..

Austin Gauthier (‘18) was among the male students to go on the march in Washington. Gauthier explains, “Pro-life means to support life of all kinds. It’s not just about babies in the womb or euthanasia… it’s putting people up instead of putting them down… The pro-life movement is not just for girls.”

January 22, 2018 marked the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade: a decision passed by the Supreme Court as a right for women to terminate their unwanted or unplanned pregnancy.

“Our role as men is to help women make the right decision,” Anthony Benton (‘20) says in response to how he sees men involvement in the Pro-life movement.

Eleventh grade school counselor, Mrs. Christy Romero, went on the trip to Washington D.C. recounting it as, “absolutely amazing – seeing all the people out there marching for the same cause.” Mrs. Romero also mentioned her own personal connection to the movement saying, “Seeing the joy and watching my children grow … as a mother you feel tied to this movement and commitment to life and that in itself is very powerful.”

This movement involves all men and women far beyond a “women’s issue” this is a “human rights” issue. A “human rights” issue can be defined as a problem with the way people view other people rather than a women’s issue. “My role as a man is to be a protector of women,” says Benton when asked why guys are pro-life and are willing to defend their stance.

Austin Daigle (‘18), March for Life participant, joined the Pro-life club on the STM campus during his sophomore year. Daigle says, “I didn’t really think about it that much when I joined but as I learned more about the issue I just realized how important it is to change our culture.”

Cougars for Life moderator Kim Manuel, says the purpose for the Pro-life club, known as Cougars for Life, is to bring about awareness and education. Manuel says, “In education we try to look at different life issues to be able to help [the students] form an educated conscience.” She also mentions how the club’s awareness focuses on all life issues from “womb to tomb” and to have available service opportunities.

Some of the past and upcoming opportunities Mrs. Manuel mentions are as follow:

Past

• Steak in Pro-life
  • Desormeaux Foundation Baby Shower

Upcoming

• Speakers at monthly meetings (this month’s meeting will take a look at disabilities and more)
  • Kids Easter Egg Hunt
  • Easter bingo at the nursing home

• Features

15 Things I Would Never Do Again

• It’s a Human Rights Issue

Matthew's Views

Matthew’s Views: My Shell

• It’s a Human Rights Issue

Matthew's Views

Matthew’s Mardi Party

• It’s a Human Rights Issue

News

The 1-Year Mark: President Trump’s 1st Year In Office

• It’s a Human Rights Issue

Matthew's Views

A day in the life of an Options student

• It’s a Human Rights Issue

Entertainment

Too short

• It’s a Human Rights Issue

Features

An open door to more life and love

• It’s a Human Rights Issue

Features

Options operations

• It’s a Human Rights Issue

Features

STM alumni work with area homeless

• Features

15 Things I Would Never Do Again

The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School
It’s a Human Rights Issue