STM News

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Kiersten Landry, Staff Writer

Mardi Gras season is now over and everyone loved going to all of the balls and parades. Many would say it is their favorite time of the year. Even though everyone loves going to all of the parades and balls, most do not know the preparation and time it takes to be in a Mardi Gras ball.

For the girls who have been in Mardi Gras balls since they were little, they understand all the behind the scenes work that it takes to put on such a great show. Mardi Gras is known for the elaborate and festive dresses and costumes which have to be handmade. Kinley Frey (‘18) says she used to order dresses from China and that she would have to order it in the summer so it would come in in time. Most girls start ordering their dresses months in advance. Claire Koke (‘18) admits she bought her dress a year in advance for this year’s debutante ball.

For those that start at such a young age, they do not get put straight into the balls and presentations. Madeline Mahtook (‘18) says that depending on your age, you get different roles. For example, since Mahtook was only four when she started, she was only a float rider. Some were even younger, Blair Sibley (‘18) says she started when she was only 3 years old. Saying how she remembers getting on a float in the children’s parade to throw beads.

Although there is so much preparation, the girls love being in the balls. Mahtook (‘18) even says, “My mom started putting me in Mardi Gras balls when I was four years old and now I just do them because they are fun. I like getting dressed up in big ball gowns and being presented as a queen or a maid.” All of the girls said it is a great honor to carry out their family’s traditions and to represent their families in such a fun and positive way. Emily Stevens (‘18) says that being presented at a ball gives you such a thrill and that she never wanted the night to end.

The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler