The Student News Site of St. Thomas More Catholic High School

STM News

Filed under Sports

Superbowl: more than a game

Big game offers something for everyone.

STM students Erin Bednarz ('20), John Mier ('20), Sam Stonecipher ('20), and Abigail Wininger ('20) gathered for game day.

Super Bowl LI, a.k.a the biggest game of the year for every man, woman, and child, took place in Houston, Texas on February 5, 2017.  The big game not only includes an exciting football matchup with a concert on the side, but it also includes many exciting reasons for all people to watch.

1. A  chance to spend time with friends and family.

Louisianians love to celebrate and throw parties. What is a better excuse to celebrate than hosting or attending a Super Bowl party? Grandpa Boudreaux and Grandpa Thibodeaux are able to get the whole family together and see all the Boudreaux-Thibodeaux babies while still being able to catch a football game. Luke Abraham (‘20) and Payton Auzenne (‘19) both agree this is their favorite part of the Super Bowl. Abraham says, “My whole family comes together to watch the game, and, it may sound weird, but we sort of bond through our competitiveness with each other. Everyone takes a little bit of time off from their busy lives to enjoy the game as a family despite our arguing and/or bets about the players, scores, and teams.” Cambrie Sonnier (‘18) and all of her friends described their Super Bowl party as an adventure. Sonnier says, “We had a lot of fun last night just hanging out together, but to be honest we only watched Lady Gaga perform.”

2. The amazing food everyone makes.

At every Louisiana party there is always an array of great unique Louisiana food served.  Let’s face it: Louisianians love to cook and eat just as much as they like to party. There is also no doubt that a Super Bowl party down here in the South has a delicious assortment of food that just can’t compare to a super bowl party up north. Louisiana makes Super Bowl parties here more delicious but also more unique. Camille Graham (‘17) describes her favorite part of the Super Bowl by saying, “I love the amazing food that everyone makes. I actually think that my mom pretends to not be able to cook decent food all year long except for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the Super Bowl.”  Sharon Suffern (‘17) says, “Last night, at the party my family went to, there was a king cake but instead of Mardi Gras colors it was Patriot and Falcon’s colors.”

3.  The hilarious commercials.

Commercials: companies spend millions of dollars for 30 seconds of advertising; the REAL reason the majority of people watch the Super Bowl. Sure football is great and all, but what makes everyone’s night are these glorious five minute breaks between the boring football game when the true entertainment is shown. There is a huge difference between your average everyday commercials to the beloved Super Bowl commercials. These 30-second commercials can make people laugh, cry, reminisce, and don’t forget the huge controversies that always seem to follow them (cough, cough Louisiana vs. the Doritos baby commercial).  Claudia Buettner (‘17) is just one of the people that love the Super Bowl just because of the commercials. Buettner says, “All the commercials are just so funny and creative. I just love to watch all of them, especially the Doritos commercials.” Madelyn Walters (‘17) says, “My favorite commercial was probably the first Stranger Things season 2 trailer. It gave me goosebumps and got me excited for the new season coming out.”

4. The concert between the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

Everyone always looks forward to the halftime show no matter who is performing. The halftime shows aren’t only memorable because of the performances, but they are memorable because of their ability to bring everyone in the family together. In 2007 it was Prince, in 2013 it was Beyoncé, and in 2015 Left Shark stole the show. This year the main headliner is Lady Gaga, and people are waiting with great anticipation to see her performance. One person who greatly enjoys the halftime shows is Abigail Geoffrey (‘19). Geoffrey exclaims her excitement saying, “I like to think of the Super Bowl as some football players playing football at a (whoever is performing in the halftime show’s) concert. My absolute favorite performance was Beyoncé, but what would be really cool is if I could perform as her backup dancer in the song Formation. That would really be awesome.” Ruby Boudreaux (‘18) says, “I loved how Lady Gaga performed both of her old and new songs. The whole show was amazing, especially the part where she jumped off the roof. That part totally made my heart drop.”

5. The fact that you can get some money out of it.

Another great way to bond with family and friends is to create a Super Bowl game or bet. Everyone does it from work colleagues to friends to even families. Kaitlyn Parker (‘19) and Matthew Andrus (‘20) both have friend groups that are big into fantasy football. Parker’s family even does Super Bowl bets with money to make it a little more interesting. Parker says, “The bets in my family get pretty intense. We all get pretty riled up by it. For instance, if someone loses the bet you better make sure to steer clear of their path for the next few hours…or days.” Camille Graham (‘17) says, “My family is really competitive with our family pool. A lot of screaming, as well as fighting, occurs in my household during the game. The only plus side of putting up with all of them is the fact that I got $125 from my family pool last night.”

6. All of the crazy people/die-hard fans in the crowd.

Who doesn’t love to people watch whether it be at Walmart, the airport, or even the Super Bowl? “Interesting” people really seem to find each other, and at the Super Bowl they all join together. Andrew Guidry (‘20) describes that this is his favorite part of the Super Bowl. He says, “There are all sorts of weird people in the world, and those die-hard fans really go all out for the big game. Watching all of them in the crowd entertains me and my family the most.” Matthew Adams (‘17) says, “The funniest fan I saw in the crowd was this one guy wearing a giant Super Bowl ring hat. Like honestly, who even thinks of that?”

7.  To be in the know/understand what is happening on social media.

It is a known fact that from the snap of the first ball, and even before, all kinds of social media outlets will be buzzing with things about the Super Bowl for nearly the next month or so. So how are people supposed to understand the constant memes, jokes, and post about the Super Bowl if they don’t watch it? Both Paityn Gautreaux (‘20) and Grace Young (‘18) admit that this is one big reason they both watch the Super Bowl. Grayson Guarino (‘18) says that he always looks forward to the memes that come out the day after the Super Bowl. He says, “The funniest ones I’ve seen so far are of the coaches and the players being salty about their loss or win.”

8.  For the love of football.

Last but not least, the majority of people tune into the Super Bowl just because of their love for football. It is the whole reason for it. According to Statista, about 45% of people tune into the “Big Game” merely just because it is a football game. They don’t care if their team is playing or not. Collin Varisco (‘17) is one of these people. Varisco says, “I’m most excited to watch the Patriots crush the Falcons. Let’s be honest; who actually likes the Falcons?” Many people watching the Super Bowl couldn’t believe the fact that the Patriots were able to make such a big comeback. Jared Fontenot (‘17), one football fan, says, “I couldn’t believe that the Patriots were able to come back and tie the game so fast. There is a reason that Patriots won their fifth Super Bowl last night.”

• Superbowl:  more than a game

Entertainment

Tis’ the Season

• Superbowl:  more than a game

Entertainment

Football and tailgating: week 1

• Superbowl:  more than a game

More Truth

Final thoughts and clarifications

• Superbowl:  more than a game

Entertainment

Impact Night

• Superbowl:  more than a game

Features

New Cougar Additions

• Superbowl:  more than a game

More Truth

Chastity: the path to true freedom

• Superbowl:  more than a game

News

What’s New: St. Pius

• Superbowl:  more than a game

Entertainment

Rush: The Ins and Outs

• Entertainment

Bandboree 2017

• Superbowl:  more than a game

Entertainment

Tis’ the Season

Superbowl: more than a game